The below Tests are just some of the tests available in Clinic.
Functional Medicine tests and investigations are focused on what may lead to a loss of health, disease or illness. An integrated approach is how we all need to move forward.
Using innovative and sophisticated clinical testing, and depending on the test chosen, the test provides information on the functioning of organs, systems, hormones, the presence of food intolerance/s, the status of the ecology within the bowel or nutritional imbalances.
Nutritional imbalances are often at the root of many complex, chronic health conditions. Many regular laboratory tests measure the indications of disease, which can be restrictive in understanding the total health picture.
The reason why a test is being recommended will always be discussed with you, along with costs and the time taken to receive results. Tests are based on saliva, blood, urine and stools. Some information on the most common tests are outlined below.
Digestive complaints are one of the most common factors in individuals seeking functional nutrition programmes.
- Digestive stool analysis: is a very useful test helps to evaluate digestion, absorption and gut flora, including the composition of gut bacteria, inflammation and metabolic markers. Compromised digestive function may result in bloating and gas, indigestion, constipation, diarrhoea and abdominal pain.
- Candida: a yeast found naturally in the digestive tract. However, if the natural balance of the gut bacteria has been disturbed, such as with a high use of antibiotics, candida levels can grow to pathogenic levels resulting in multiple symptoms affecting different parts of the body.
- Helicobacter Pylori: has been strongly associated with persistent stomach inflammation such as gastritis and gastric ulcers.
- Intestinal permeability: Gut health has far reaching consequences in the body. Autoimmune conditions are considered linked to the integrity of the gut lining and food intolerances often start from impaired gut health. This is often found in people with highly stressed lifestyles.
- For further information on Digestive Testing, please click here
Allergy and Antibody Profiles:
At Jenny McElvaney’s clinic, we stock a number of IgG blood tests to assess your body’s reaction to a wide range of foods, food additives and preservatives, spices, inhalant and mould profiles. The selected test will depend on the immediacy or delayed nature of your symptoms.
- Food allergy or food intolerance: A number of tests are available. The tests identify antibodies related to immediate (IgE) and delayed (IgG) hypersensitivities to foods and other specific allergens. Some tests include gluten antibody profiles, which may identify gluten intolerance.
- Coeliac Profile (gluten sensitivity): the clinical presentation of gluten coeliac disease is many and varied, which is why diagnosis can often take years.
- Non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity: gluten related disorders could exist without having coeliac disease. Cyrex Laboratories offer an array of multi-tissue antibody testing.
- Lactose intolerance test: for identifying intolerance to lactose sugars found in milk.
A number of diagnostic tests are available under my clinical tests section, which help identify hormone imbalances, which may then be addressed through foods, supplements, and lifestyle. Tests available for men and women.
- Thyroid Screen: Thyroid hormones are essential regulators of the body’s metabolism and imbalances can affect virtually every metabolic process in the body, exerting significant affects on mood, energy levels, weight and sex drive. GP tests typically measure TSH and sometimes T4. This thyroid test goes deeper and evaluates imbalances that often go undetected with more limited assessments.
- Adrenal: regulates the stress hormone response. A highly informative test for clients exhibiting with unexplained energy issues.
- Sex Hormones: influence the female reproductive cycle, menopause and can affect mood in both men and women. Balance is the key with the sex hormones and clinical imbalances exert many effects on the body.
- For further information on Adrenal Testing, please click here or Thyroid Testing click here
Nutrition and Toxin Assessment:
- ONE Test (Optimal Nutrition Evaluation): This test is unique in helping to evaluate the client’s diet and supplementation needs. It includes organic acids to evaluate gastrointestinal function, functional need for vitamins, minerals and co-factors, along with digestion, absorption, metabolic impairments and nutritional deficits.
- Essential Fatty Acids profile: Evaluating the important Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids required by the body.
- Single nutrient analysis: such as vitamin D, B12 and folate, iodine, anaemia, magnesium
Further tests include:
- Comprehensive Cardiovascular Assessment
- Cyrex Laboratory Testing
- Heavy Metal Toxicity
- Fatty Acid Testing
- Insulin Resistance Profile
- Osteoporosis Risk Assessment
- Chronic Fatigue Screening
- Homocysteine Level Assessment
Using a Functional Nutrition approach is very effective, even without testing. Testing enables a more highly targeted nutrition programme to be developed, supporting physiologic function, macronutrient and micronutrient needs. Testing also helps monitor the effects of specific programmes.
*It is however, entirely your decision if you want to conduct any tests.
**Laboratory prices are provided during consultations.