The past week I came down with a cold, completely over-doing it and my health took its toll. When I become run down I develop mouth ulcers which are a total nuisance, so I thought I’d share what works for me.
Being run down, recovery from colds and flu, the use of antibiotics or stress, and also chemotherapy can cause an outbreak. The good news is, there’s a number of things you can do:
1. Chewing 5 – 6 basil leaves with a little water every day, will help you in getting rid of mouth ulcers. Repeat the procedure 5 to 6 times daily for better results.
2. Drinking strengthening and calming teas of ginseng, lemon balm, vervain and liquorice, will help the body as a whole overcome stress.
3. Mixing one teaspoon of good quality honey and mix 1/4 teaspoon turmeric to make a paste. Rub the paste on your mouth ulcer.
4. A treatment of liquorice extract called ‘deglycrrhizinated liquorice’ or ‘DGL, can also be used to treat them.
5. Dab two drops of tea tree oil neat, directly on to the ulcer. Doing this will reduce the redness around the sore and also reduces the inflammation caused.
Ensure you avoid coffee, tea and cigarette smoking as these will only irritate it further.